Double Wide Living Room Remodel

Hard to believe that we have lived in our manufactured home almost 4 years but we have. We have been slowly adding hardwood floors to our home as time and money allows.  I share these photos to show the current process we are in and how just some small changes can begin to make a huge difference in a home. No matter where you live or what you live in, you have the ability to make your home beautiful!

The above photo is what the fire place looked like when we moved into the home. It sat at an angle and took up so much space. So we knocked the wall down and moved it back about 3 feet. This made our living room 3 feet larger and our master bedroom 3 feet smaller. I have never been one to understand a huge master bedroom anyway. We simply sleep in there and I would rather have the space for our family and friends be larger in the living room.

Last winter we put in a different wood stove that is much more efficient and as you can tell we still haven’t finished the tile work. We are now in the process of laying white oak hardwood flooring that we purchased from Vermillion Flooring in Springfield MO.

Our flooring is 3/4″ tongue and groove hardwood that is #3 grade. So what does #3 grade mean?  #3 common grade hardwood flooring shows more knots, mineral streaks, and color variety than other grades of hardwood flooring and is often a more affordable choice. I personally wanted a rustic looking floor and this is a great choice for that.

Don’t you just love that faux brick finish from the previous owners? It was one of the first things that we changed by putting up real shiplap boards.

Several weeks ago we put all new windows throughout our home. We will now be able to trim around all the windows and begin the work on the ceilings and trim.

Fancy that tv stand? I am holding out for what I really want and so far I haven’t found it. I really want a cabinet that can hide the tv and all of it’s wires. I would love to find vintage but that seems to be near impossible within a great price range.

The wall above is called the marriage wall in a double wide home. When the house is moved they have to pull it apart in two sections. This wall is the support wall and it is the one thing that I dislike about our home. It blocks the view of the kitchen and someday I want to have an actual beam put in and this will be removed. This will allow the kitchen, dining room and living room to be one big open space.

I am often asked would I do this process over again and my answer is yes I would. So many little pieces of our life story have fit perfectly with this home. We have no doubt we are where we are supposed to be. Do I get discouraged with how long the process is taking? Oh sure I do but I know that it is worth it. I can’t wait to continue to update the process and share all the new details of the future with you!

Sharing is caring!

19 thoughts on “Double Wide Living Room Remodel”

1. If you don’t mind me asking… What type of boards were used for the shiplap? My husband and I are remodeling our double wide also and I’m looking for reasonably prices material to use for shiplap. Your projects are beautiful!

2. Congratulations on your dream coming true, and staying debt free while you do it, it’s definitely not easy! I hope the process runs smoothly, can’t wait to see it developing!

3. I was so excited to find this blog! My husband and I recently bought a double wide and the process of splitting it and getting it off the previous owner’s basement will start tomorrow! Like you, we are still waiting for that perfect piece of land to put it on, hoping God guides us to it soon so we can get moved in. Ours is also a fixer-upper-an ’89 model in amazing condition but needs many updates!! All the work will be done little bits at time as we get the money much like what you all are doing so I’ll continue checking your blog out for inspiration and encouragement.

4. I have seen so many beautifully remodeled manufactured homes lately, but based on this and your other posts, yours might just take the cake! That kitchen! I first saw it in the Thanksgiving table-setting post and immediately had to find more pictures, your work shows 🙂 Love it!

5. Have you done your laundry room?! We own a 2000 double wide and right now my laundry room literally needs a complete redo and I need some inspiration!!

6. I absolutely love this! We just remodeled our double wide and totally agree with how the marriage wall is a bummer. We made ours into an insland and have the support beams on the sides and the middle is open. I am so jealous of your shiplap. My hubby said no because it’s not our long term home and we plan on it being a rental in a few years ?

7. I’m very interested in all these posts about remodeling double-wides!! You all sound very confident and happy with your choices. My husband and I raised 3 children in our split-entry home, but after 40 yrs, I feel we need to ‘look toward the future’ for one last move…to a home with NO necessary steps to climb, to do laundry, to put groceries away, to go get an item for a meal…etc, I’m sure you understand what I mean. To go out to get the mail, we have to go down steps within our home, then back up the steps to our living areas. I want our laundry room on the same floor we live, eat, sleep, and same floor where we put our clothes away. But I also want a good traffic pattern, as well as roomy living areas, so that when our children and their families gather here, we won’t be stepping on each other. These are things I’ve been praying about. An easy to maintain home, all on one floor, several bathrooms (we’ve only had one full bath, all these years, and it’s very challenging when we have family in for weekends, and more). I’m just considering that my husband and I are in our mid-60’s, and steps will grow more inconvenient.

• I can not remember the name of the stove off the top of my head. However, we found it at Home Depot and it was mobile home approved. If you do a search for them, you should be able to find one.