If you want to start a beautiful cut flower garden, buying cutting flower seeds online can be an excellent option.
With many annual and perennial flower seeds available, you can easily grow stunning blooms with longer stems perfect for cutting.
Cut Flower Garden
Growing a cut flower garden has become increasingly popular as many people have opted to grow cut flowers over the past few years.
The growing interest in flower gardening owes much to the influence of social media platforms, such as Instagram. Floret Flower, a renowned cut flower farm, has inspired numerous home gardeners, including myself, to cultivate their own beautiful blooms for fresh cut flowers.
Are you ready to fill your home with beautiful summer flowers? If so, you may wonder when and where to buy flower seeds to grow in a cut flower bed.
One of the best ways to start a flower garden is from seeds purchased online. In this blog post, I will share the benefits of buying seeds online and some of the best seed companies.
Once you have figured out where to order cut flower seeds, here are some resources for successfully starting a cut flower garden.
What Are Cut Flower Garden Seeds
Cut flower garden seeds refer to various flower seeds specifically chosen and grown to cut and arrange in bouquets. These seeds are typically chosen for their upright stems, vibrant colors, and long-lasting blooms.
When is the Best Time to Buy Flower Seeds
Winter is the best time to purchase flower seeds online. Most seed companies release new collections and catalogs in January. This gives gardeners ample time to select the seeds they want to grow.
Additionally, since the demand for quality seeds has grown in recent years, popular cut flower varieties often sell out quickly, making it important to purchase them early.
If you want to make sure you can get the type of flowers you want from your favorite company, it is a good idea to sign up for their emails or mailing list. You can also follow them on their social media channels. This will help you discover when their shop is open and get updates.
Benefits of Buying Flower Seeds Online
Buying flower seeds online has many benefits, including convenience, variety, and availability.
One of the biggest advantages of purchasing seeds online is its convenience. You can browse different websites from your home and order anytime.
Additionally, some of the best seed companies for home gardeners offer a wider variety of flower seeds than brick-and-mortar stores, allowing you to choose from a broader selection of annuals and perennials.
This is particularly useful for avid gardeners searching for unique or heirloom varieties to add to their cutting garden.
Furthermore, a cut flower seed company often offers more detailed information than you may find on the back of the seed packet. This may include growing requirements, ideal growing conditions, and bloom time.
Buying High-quality Flower Seeds
You should buy high-quality seeds for beautiful flowers in your cutting garden.
Buying high-quality flower seeds is important because they can significantly impact the success of your gardening efforts. Using premium seeds makes you more likely to have successful germination and growth, leading to healthy and beautiful flowers.
Where to Buy Flower Seeds Online?
There are many places to buy flower seeds online. A good flower seed company offers a wide selection of high-quality seeds with good germination rates, accurate labeling, and detailed information on how to grow the flowers from seed.
While I have not personally bought and grown seeds from all of these flower seed companies, I have researched them and found them to be reliable sources of fresh, high-quality flower seeds.
This post contains affiliate links; I make a tiny commission off any purchase that you may make. This small commission helps you keep Rocky Hedge Farm going at no additional cost. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
These are some of my favorite companies to order flower seeds from online.
- Floret Flower is a well-known flower farm and one of the best flower seed companies that grow and sells various beautiful blooms. Erin and her team offer an extensive selection of flower seeds and a range of online courses and resources to help gardeners of all skill levels grow their stunning flower gardens.
Floret Flower Farm has also published various beautiful books: Cut Flower Garden, A Year in Flowers, and Discovering Dahlias
- Eden Brothers is a company that specializes in selling flower seeds, as well as vegetable and seeds for culinary herbs. They offer various seeds for wildflower mixes, heirloom flower varieties, and specialty flower seeds.
- Halden Garden was born from a desire to curate the best varieties available and to show gardeners what to grow to help them have an amazing experience growing their food and flowers. They have some of the best cheap flower seeds (and beautiful seed packets) I have ever purchased. Halden Garde is where I also order mum cuttings for the prettiest flowers in the fall!
SwallowTail Garden Seeds
- Swallowtail Garden Seeds is an online seed company offering annual and perennial flower seeds, various vegetable garden seeds, and herb seeds.
- Uprising Seeds is a small family-run certified farm selling organic flower seeds online. 100% of the seeds on this site are open-pollinated from U.S. farms with organic practices.
3 Porch Farm
- 3 Porch Farm is a small sustainable flower farm in north Georgia. They just started offering a small line of seeds for cut flowers.
Bear Creek Farm
- Bear Creek Farm is mainly known for its amazing dahlia tubers but has a small collection of the best flower seeds for beginners. Many of these easy-to-grow seeds will make your garden and floral arrangements a standout.
- Select Seeds offers gardeners a selection of unique, high-quality flower seeds and plants, specializing in old-fashioned fragrant flowers, flowering vines, and rare annuals and perennials. Many antique flowers are hard-to-find heirlooms passed from one generation to another.
- Johnny’s Seed offers a wide range of the best quality flower seeds online. They are known for their seed testing and quality control procedures, which ensure their customers receive fresh and viable seeds. They also offer a range of gardening tools, supplies, and books.
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is one of the best flower seed companies. They also specialize in heirloom vegetable seeds and medicinal herbs. They are known for their colorful and informative seed catalog, which features stunning photographs and historical information about each seed variety. The company has a solid following among gardeners, homesteaders, and seed savers.
- American Meadows is a company with the mission of providing high-quality seeds to gardeners and promoting the use of native plants in landscaping. They offer the best cut flower seeds for individual species and pre-designed seed mixes, such as meadow, pollinator, and shade mixes.
High Mowing Organic Seeds
- High Mowing Organic Seeds offers a wide selection of organic flower seeds that have been proven easy to grow and are suitable for cut flower production. Most varieties are well suited to succession planting and should be picked often or dead-headed for continuous harvest.
- Harris Seeds provides flower seeds to farmers, market growers, and home gardeners. Harris Seeds offers a wide selection of annual flower seeds well-suited for cutting gardens. Some of the most popular annuals they offer include zinnias, sunflowers, cosmos, marigolds, snapdragons, and sweet peas.
The Farmhouse Flower Farm
- The Farmhouse Flower Farm is a small family flower farm. While Marryn sells some beautiful flower seeds, she is worth mentioning in this post because she has the most amazing bulbs and sweet peas! She is my go-to source for purchasing dahlias and daffodils.
Types of Excellent Cut Flowers
Many flower seeds are well-suited for cut flower gardens; the best choices depend on your preferences.
When choosing seeds, it is important to consider factors such as bloom time, stem length, long vase life, and growing conditions in your area.
Perennials come back year after year, growing and blooming each season. Perennial cut flowers create a more permanent, long-lasting flower garden.
Perennial Flower Seeds
- Shasta Daisy – is a great addition to any garden with their large white blooms, sunny yellow centers, and glossy green foliage. They have a long blooming period that lasts throughout the entire summer season.
- Black-Eyed Susan – is drought-tolerant and easy to grow. A native plant that attracts a variety of pollinators pairs beautifully with other prairie favorites like Purple Coneflower.
- Purple Cone Flower – called Echinacea, is famous for its stunning purple flowers and golden center cones. A perennial butterfly and bee magnet, this wildflower is extremely easy to grow.
Annuals are plants that complete their entire life cycle in one growing season, from seed to flower to seed again, before dying off.
They typically bloom for several months before producing seeds and then dying off in the fall or winter. Annual cut flowers are excellent for providing a burst of color and continuous blooms throughout the growing season, and they can be easily replaced each year with new plants.
Annual Cut Flower Seeds
- Zinnias – colorful and easy-to-grow flowers, Zinnias, come in various colors and are popular annual cut flower seeds.
- Sunflowers – with their strong stems and large, cheerful blooms, sunflowers are a classic choice for cut flowers.
- Cosmos – These delicate and daisy-like flowers, Cosmos, come in various colors and are easy to grow!
- Dahlias – my favorite freshly cut flowers are Dahlias! While I grow mine from tubers, they can also be started from seeds.
- Sweet Peas – these fragrant and delicate flowers come in various colors and are a popular choice for a romantic and vintage bouquet.
Order Your Flower Seeds Online
If you want to start your cut flower garden, ordering your seeds online and growing them is a fantastic option. It is a cost-effective way to add color and beauty to your garden, and it is rewarding to see your flowers grow from a tiny seed into a stunning bloom.
Plenty of good cut flowers can be grown from seeds that will bloom in early spring or summer. Growing cut flowers from seeds ensures you have a supply of fresh, seasonal blooms to enjoy and share with others.
I hope you find this seed companies list helpful.