This is the best hearty homemade healthy chicken soup recipe! With healing and immune-boosting ingredients, like turmeric and chicken broth, this recipe for chicken soup is the perfect comfort food.Jump to Recipe
In the colder months of winter, I make a lot of soup recipes. They are packed full of healthy vegetables and broths that are good for our bodies, and generally they are super quick to fix.
Homemade chicken soup is a very quick, and easy meal that is the ultimate comfort food. Simple meal recipes, like soups are a favorite of mine, because I can essentially throw everything into one pot. Then, I can turn the burner on low, walk away and allow it to simmer until dinner or lunch is ready to serve.
Is Chicken Soup Healthy
Packed full of nutrients from the vegetables and bone broth, this chicken soup recipe is extremely healthy. As a family, this is also our go to recipe if someone has a cold and isn’t feeling well.
1. Bone Broth: The chicken is cooked and then removed from the bone before putting the bones back in the water to simmer for at least an hour. Bone broth is packed full of nutrients like protein. Bone broth is good for your gut and your joints.
2. Turmeric: is what gives the soup the deep, beautiful color. It is considered to be anti-inflammatory and an anti-oxidant.
3. Veggies: We all need more of these powerhouse vitamin packed vegetables in our meals. Soups are an easy way to get the nutrition your body needs!
Homemade Chicken Soup Add In Options
There are quite a few other options that you could add to this homemade chicken soup. Some options would include, potatoes, egg noodles, and even rice to make it more filling. However, we mostly eat a keto, low carb diet and therefore, just use the vegetables and chicken.
Then, you could also add a variety of vegetables that you and your family enjoy. As for the spices, adjust them to your liking.
Low Carb | Keto Healthy Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe
Hearty Homemade Chicken Soup
immune-boosting ingredients, like turmeric and chicken broth, this
recipe for chicken soup is the perfect comfort food.
- 1 whole chickens
- 2 whole carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 2 tsp celtic salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Cover chicken in 5 quarts of water and simmer on low for several hours until the chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken from the pot and remove as much meat as you can from the
bones. Return the bones to broth and simmer on low for 1 hour.
- Then, remove the bones from the broth, making sure to remove all the
bones. I often use a strainer and another pan to be sure that all bones
are removed. I strain the broth from one pot, through the strainer, into
- Leave the broth in the pot and add vegetables.
- Add herbs and spices and simmer on low until ready to serve.
I hope that you love this hearty homemade healthy chicken soup as much as our family does. If you make it, would you take a moment to come back and let me know?
Also, I have teamed up with some other lovely bloggers who are also sharing some delicious soup recipes so be sure to stop by these blogs.
The Vintage Bucket: Chicken and Rice Soup
The Cultivated Life: Creamy Potato Corn Chowder
Boxwood Avenue: Ground Turkey Soup with Salsa Verde
More Delicious Healthy Recipes from Rocky Hedge Farm
See all from scratch recipes HERE