How to Make a Dried Orange Garland with Rosemary and Cinnamon Sticks
How do the holidays leave you feeling? Are you rushed and stressed looking for that last minute gift or trying to create the perfect meal for family? Are you frantically cleaning the home for guests that will be arriving soon? Well, that was me several years ago before I decided to slow down and enjoy the season for all that it was. For the past several years I have been trying to get away from the commercialism of the holidays. I found the holidays to be stressful and rushed which always left me feeling tired and exhausted at the end of the season. The holidays had become more about decorating and shopping and less about traditions and time with family. This year my family is on a mission to create a homemade holiday today I will show you how to make a gorgeous garland from dried orange slices, rosemary and cinnamon sticks.
Dried Rosemary or any other kind of greenery – think about what you can find outside if you don’t have herbs available. So pine or cedar would be some great options and smell just as great.
1. Cut your jute twine to the length that you want your garland and then add around 10 inches. For the first step you will fold your string as shown above in the photo.
2. If you look at the center of the orange you will notice a small opening. You can slightly bend the orange and stick the loop you created in the hole.
3. Pull the loop through the center of the orange.
4. Once you have the loop pulled up through the center of the orange you can place the Rosemary and Cinnamon stick through the loop.
5. You can now pull on the jute string on the underneath of the orange to tighten it around the Rosemary and Cinnamon Sticks. To continue making the garland simply move down a few inches and start the process again by forming the loop and inserting more Rosemary and Cinnamon Sticks. You can add as many as you like to get your garland the length that you need.
I also love that this craft can fall into a category of “no-waste” and that there is nothing to store at the end of the season. The cinnamon sticks can be saved for another project and the rosemary can be used for cooking. As for the orange slice I am sure that you could tie them all together and hang them outside for the birds to enjoy. Easy to create and beautiful for your home.
This post contains affiliate links.